Thursday, May 2, 2013

Why spend $40 when you can MAKE it for less then $5?!

Okay, so if you are anything like me I HATE cleaning my makeup brushes.  I mean I clean them because I don't want to keep putting dirty brushes on my face, but it's a pain in the ass to stand hunched over the sink for 30+ minutes scrubbing my brushes.  Yeah... no fun.

I saw that a brush company had come out with what is essentially a rubber "oven mitt" with different textures to do the scrubbing for you.  The first time I saw this I was excited to get something that shorten the time I was hunched over the sink.  However, when I saw the price ($40 + shipping and handling), my excitement went away.  WHY is it so much...?  I know a hundred other things I can that money on, like food.

So I sat brainstorming on ways to cut the time down into this annoying chore. I realized that the only thing that I needed was a surface with different textures to scrub the brushes on.

I had my hot glue gun out for another project I was working on when I got my inspiration.

Here is what I came up with:




The only thing I had to buy was the plastic clipboard, which you can get almost anywhere (I ordered mine off of amazon).  I did different designs and sizes with the hot glue to give it different textures for cleaning my brushes.  I let it dry overnight just to be sure that my brushes wouldn't come in contact with still wet hot glue (because that wouldn't be good).


To clean, I just laid the clipboard in the sink, wet it and used my normal brush cleaner.  Then I swirled the brush over the different bumps and grooves.  I don't think I've had my brushes cleaner.  And this actually did cut down the time cleaning over the sink!

Mission Accomplished! =]

- XO, Alyse

No comments:

Post a Comment